Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information
From the Endangered Wildlife Trust (EWT)
The EWT Contemporary21 is the first “Open call to artists“ wildlife exhibition of its kind in South Africa, has put out an open call for submissions.
Artists with a love for the environment and a passion for South Africa‘s natural world are invited to submit artworks for possible inclusion in a group exhibition to be showcased at the Gordon Institute of Business Science (GIBS), Illovo, Johannesburg, from Saturday 4 September–Sunday 12 September 2021.
EWT‘s Strategic Imperatives focus on three key pillars of conservation impact:
- Saving Species
- Saving Habitats
- Benefiting People
We invite you through your art to interpret one or all of the above.
For information on The EWT: their Vision, Mission and Values, please visit The EWT‘s website www.ewt.org.za
HOW TO ENTER
All entries for The EWT Contemporary21 must be submitted electronically and include a completed submission form, copy of proof of payment for the entry fee (R300), and hi–res images to email@example.com
Electronic entries may be submitted till 23:59 on 1 August 2021. No entries will be accepted after that date.
Up to three entries per artist are allowed. One entry per artwork.
Artists whose works have been selected will be notified on Monday, 9 August 2021.
DETAILS OF DELIVERY OF ARTWORKS WILL BE EMAILED TO SELECTED ARTISTS
The EWT will take a 30% commission on all sold artworks. A non-refundable fee of R300 is payable for each entry. The commission and entry fee goes towards The EWT‘s conservational activities. Payment can be made by EFT or cash deposit to:
Account name: Endangered Wildlife Trust
Account number: 50371564219
First National Bank
Branch code: 253305
Rosebank branch 037
SWIFT code: FIRNZAJJ
Please use your Name and Surname and the word “Art“ as the payment reference.
- The opening of The EWT Contemporary21 exhibition will be a gala event on Saturday 4 September 2021 at 17:00 at GIBS, 26 Melville Road, Illovo, Johannesburg. Invited guests and the selected exhibiting artists and their partners will be encouraged to attend the opening. The exhibition will be open to the public from 5 September–12 September 2021.
- The exhibition will run for eight days
- The exhibition will close on Sunday 12 September 2021 at 13:00. Artists may collect their unsold artworks from GIBS on Sunday 12 September 2021, from 13:30 until 15:30. Thereafter the artworks will be moved to a storage facility in Johannesburg for collection until Friday, 17 September 2021.
- This is not a competition – there are no prizes.
- Two-dimensional works can be created in any medium of choice on any surface. Framed size within 120 X 120 cm and not exceeding 12 cm depth.
- Works on board or canvas, if left unframed, must be equipped with a sufficient hanging mechanism.
- Works on paper (drawings, watercolours and original fine art prints) must be mounted or framed behind Perspex or glass (at the artist‘s cost).
- Three-dimensional works can be created in any medium of choice and must be able to stand freely on the floor or a plinth (supplied by the artist). Size limited to 1 m x 1 m.
- No installations, photographic prints, posters and multiple-part works (i.e. diptychs or triptychs) will be accepted.
- Only original artworks will be considered. Preferably works completed in the last 24 months.
- A copy of proof of payment for the R300 entry fee must be submitted with the submission form (attached) and the high–res image (300 dpi) jpeg of artwork. Please ensure the file size is a minimum of 220 pixels and no more than 6 MB The entry must be accompanied by the artist‘s name, email address, and artwork title. 3D entries require images of as many angles as possible.
- Payment of the entry fee indicates that you understand and accept the terms and conditions and all the information that has been outlined.
- Maximum of three entries per artist – one entry per artwork.
- Electronic submission dates: until – 1 August 2021 by 23:59. Submissions received after the above date will not be accepted.
- Payment of the entry fee does not mean automatic acceptance.
- Selected artists will be notified by Monday, 9 August 2021, via email.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF THE EXHIBITION
- The exhibition is open to all entrants who are permanently resident in South Africa and are 18 years of age or older on 1 January 2021. Those not eligible for entry are employees of The EWT, the sponsors, the judges, and any of their immediate family.
- The EWT and GIBS will not be held liable for any damage or loss to any artwork.
- Artists will ensure that the work is adequately insured while part of the exhibition.
- All works will be judged anonymously. The decision of the judges is final. No correspondence will be entered into.
- Work previously submitted for a competition or exhibited in the public domain, including but not limited to electronic media such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram or on a website, may not be entered into this exhibition.
- The entrant must have created a work submitted for the exhibition, i.e. it must be his or her original work.
- By entering this exhibition, you agree to allow us to use images of your work on The EWT‘s social media platforms and website.
- Any work using direct reference from professional artists or photographers must obtain written permission from them.
- EWT accepts no liability in the publication of unlawfully reproduced art.
- All works remain the entrant’s property for the duration of the competition and exhibition unless works are sold at the exhibition.
- The EWT Contemporary 21 reserves the right to disqualify any artwork if the artist has not complied with the above rules as stipulated, even if the work was selected for exhibition.
- It will be the responsibility of the artist to ensure the safe delivery to and from the assigned delivery address:
- The Organisers, The EWT, the staff they employ, and GIBS shall not be responsible for the safety, loss or damage of any exhibit and should be under no liability for any direct or indirect loss, damage or destruction to such exhibit or property due to theft, fire or any loss of profits, damage or injury sustained by the Exhibitor.
COLLECTION OF UNSOLD WORKS FROM A STORAGE FACILITY IN JOHANNESBURG Monday 13 September – Friday 17 September 2021
For more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org