To apply, please email your CV to Human Resources
• Include a detailed motivation letter as to how and why you are the best candidate for this position
• Photo of yourself.
Attention: Human Resources Assistant
Postal: Private Bag X 11,
Modderfontein, 1645 or
Physical: Building K2,
Pinelands Office Park,
Fax: 086 636 5823.
Carnivore Conservation Programme Manager
Closing date: 6 March 2019
The mission of the EWT’s Carnivore Conservation Programme is to improve the conservation status of carnivores across southern Africa by re-establishing, maintaining, and expanding safe space for carnivores; actively reducing threats to carnivore survival and persistence; ensuring positive changes in the way humans value carnivores; and supporting legislation to protect carnivores.
– Provide leadership, overall direction, and coordination, for all carnivore conservation activities, and facilitate and support the delivery of carnivore conservation targets.
– Drive the development and implementation of carnivore conservation projects to support the EWT’s strategic objectives.
– Develop a strong team of carnivore conservation experts, and provide leadership, management and support for all programme staff to ensure that they are empowered to deliver on project targets.
– Develop and maintain the financial sustainability of the programme through a proactive fundraising strategy to ensure that carnivore conservation projects are sustainable and have long-term impacts.
– Develop and maintain optimal donor relationships and ensure that all donor requirements are met timeously.
– Maintain a high standard of financial administration through effective budget monitoring and management.
– Produce high-quality outputs from the EWT’s carnivore conservation work, including best practice guidelines, position papers, scientific articles, and other outputs relevant to a diverse range of stakeholders.
– Develop and coordinate, in collaboration with relevant EWT managers, community participation and livelihood improvements at each of the project sites, where relevant.
– Coordinate and manage a carnivore research and monitoring programme and oversee the management of carnivore-related data.
– Contribute to national and international processes and conventions where relevant, and raise the profile of the EWT’s carnivore-related work, both locally and internationally.
Qualifications and experience required:
– Minimum M.Sc. in Zoology, Conservation Biology, or a related, relevant field, and at least 5 year’s postgraduate experience in a conservation working environment. Previous experience in carnivore conservation will be advantageous.
– Demonstrated ability in conceiving and developing new areas of work.
– A proven track record in applied conservation research, fieldwork, project implementation, and management.
– Experience in presenting results of conservation research to a variety of audiences.
– A high degree of self-motivation and pro-activity, excellent administrative skills, excellent organisation skills, and the proven ability to work under pressure.
– The ability to develop strong relationships with landowners, communities, the private sector, other conservation organisations, government agencies, staff, and volunteers.
– Good knowledge about the threats facing carnivores and other wildlife and how these may be mitigated.
– Strong fundraising skills and the ability to develop a broad funding support base.
– Excellent report-writing skills for a variety of audiences, including the public, conservation practitioners, and the scientific community.
– Valid SA driver’s license and suitable driving experience.
– A passion for conservation and our natural heritage.
– Proficiency in all Microsoft Office programmes, competency in GIS software packages will be a significant advantage.
– Strong project management and people management skills.
– Experience in and ability to speak to the media, as well as confident when speaking publicly.
– High degree of self-motivation and pro-activity.
– Good administrative skills and good organisation skills.
– Knowledge of a second South African language would be beneficial.
– Valid SA driver’s license and suitable off-road and long-distance driving experience.
– Disciplined, innovative and energetic.
– Excellent staff management skills.
– Excellent communication and networking skills.
– Fluency in at least English and Afrikaans.
– The ability to work both independently and as part of team.
– Strong people skills and an approachable manner.
This position is based at the EWT’s Head Office in Johannesburg. The EWT is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants are requested to submit a CV, and a detailed motivation as to how and why they would be the best possible candidate for the Carnivore Conservation Programme Manager post.
Applicants who have not been contacted within 10 days of the closing date must please assume that their applications were not successful. The EWT reserves the right not to make an appointment. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence. Closing date: Wednesday 6 March 2019. Applicants are requested to submit their CV and letter of motivation to Emma Chisare, Human Resources Assistant, email@example.com or Private Bag X11, Modderfontein, 1645 or fax to +27 086 636 5823.