WINNING THE RACE AGAINST EXTINCTION
Belinda Glenn, EWT Marketing and Communications Manager
We were pleased to be part of a very special evening on 4 December 2019, aimed at celebrating International Cheetah Day, which takes place each year on that date, where we showcased the work being done by the EWT’s Cheetah Conservation Project. This event was generously hosted by PwC South Africa, one of the primary sponsors of this work.
The EWT launched its Cheetah Conservation Project in 2011, with the aim of increasing Cheetah numbers, and maintaining their welfare and genetic integrity across southern Africa and beyond. Working hand-in-hand with reserves across the country, we are proud to report that the project has yielded great success. Over the past eight years, the Cheetah population has grown from 217 wild Cheetahs on 41 reserves, to 380 Cheetahs on 60 reserves. We have also reintroduced Cheetahs to Malawi, where they had become extinct. In fact, South Africa and Malawi are the only African countries with increasing Cheetah populations, thanks to these efforts.
The event was well attended by PwC staff and stakeholders, as well as EWT supporters, who all enjoyed EWT Cheetah expert, Vincent van der Merwe’s presentation on these charismatic cats. Further thanks must go to PwC for not only supporting the project and providing the venue for the event, but for laying on a delicious spread for the guests. Painted Wolf Wines was on hand to ensure that the perfect wines accompanied the food.
A rare blend
We were also excited to launch a new coffee at this event, in partnership with Outliers Coffee Roasters. The Cheetah-themed RARE blend is coffee for a cause, with a percentage of proceeds being donated towards the EWT’s work to save these embattled big cats. Outliers Coffee Roasters are passionate about bringing you coffee with a conscience, and making a difference to various causes. The EWT is proud to be one of those causes, and International Cheetah Day was the perfect opportunity to launch this blend. Watch the launch video here
For more information on Outliers Coffee, and to get your claws into a packet of RARE blend, please visit their website. Every sip an adventure.
- Eshop closed
- RMB sensing journey
- The Uganda Crane Festival 2020 draws Grey Crowned Cranes to the celebrations
- Remembering Conor Tomlin
- The EWT and the Conservation Coaches Network host South Africa’s first CCNET Coach Training
- Tackling the challenges of linear infrastructure in Africa
- Cycling for a cause
- Rat detectives continue good work
- Taking a leap for frogs
- COVID-19 lockdown: A time to reflect on our impact on biodiversity
- Response to COVID-19 pandemic
- Finding gold in the dunes
- Jimmy Muheebwa scoops a Species Recovery Award
- A word from the CEO – March 2020
- We’re updating our online shop
- EWT Annual Golf Day
- African Wild Dog fundraiser
- Risk, reputation and reporting: Does business have a biodiversity blind spot?
- Powering partnerships in Africa
- Leaving a legacy