WINNING THE RACE AGAINST EXTINCTION
Belinda Glenn, EWT Marketing and Communications Manager
We were pleased to be part of a very special evening on 4 December 2019, aimed at celebrating International Cheetah Day, which takes place each year on that date, where we showcased the work being done by the EWT’s Cheetah Conservation Project. This event was generously hosted by PwC South Africa, one of the primary sponsors of this work.
The EWT launched its Cheetah Conservation Project in 2011, with the aim of increasing Cheetah numbers, and maintaining their welfare and genetic integrity across southern Africa and beyond. Working hand-in-hand with reserves across the country, we are proud to report that the project has yielded great success. Over the past eight years, the Cheetah population has grown from 217 wild Cheetahs on 41 reserves, to 380 Cheetahs on 60 reserves. We have also reintroduced Cheetahs to Malawi, where they had become extinct. In fact, South Africa and Malawi are the only African countries with increasing Cheetah populations, thanks to these efforts.
The event was well attended by PwC staff and stakeholders, as well as EWT supporters, who all enjoyed EWT Cheetah expert, Vincent van der Merwe’s presentation on these charismatic cats. Further thanks must go to PwC for not only supporting the project and providing the venue for the event, but for laying on a delicious spread for the guests. Painted Wolf Wines was on hand to ensure that the perfect wines accompanied the food.
A rare blend
We were also excited to launch a new coffee at this event, in partnership with Outliers Coffee Roasters. The Cheetah-themed RARE blend is coffee for a cause, with a percentage of proceeds being donated towards the EWT’s work to save these embattled big cats. Outliers Coffee Roasters are passionate about bringing you coffee with a conscience, and making a difference to various causes. The EWT is proud to be one of those causes, and International Cheetah Day was the perfect opportunity to launch this blend. Watch the launch video here
For more information on Outliers Coffee, and to get your claws into a packet of RARE blend, please visit their website. Every sip an adventure.
- Balwin gives back
- Unravelling the mysteries of Riverine Rabbit families
- To the rescue
- Successful facilitation leads to positive momentum for Cape Parrots
- Deploying new techniques to track lost species
- Celebrating World Rhino Day
- The shining stars of the EWT
- Happy holidays from the Endangered Wildlife Trust!
- Fodder growing puts a smile on the faces of women, saves Rugezi Marsh in Rwanda
- A word from the CEO – November/ December 2019
- Christmas is closer than you think
- Balwin’s charity hat walk
- Tackling the Rhino Peak Challenge
- Farm planning prioritised in Prieska
- Signature Lux by ONOMO Hotel Sandton – a supporter of conservation
- A brilliant approach to conservation
- Going the extra mile
- Down to Earth
- Leaving a legacy
- Frogging Fun